Labels

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Letting the fox out of the box: an introduction

I fear conventional living. Getting up, plugging through work every day like a zombie, coming home, eating some random food, watching TV till bed and just repeating the process over and over. I have lived this life. I don't want it.

I have one more year of university before I graduate from the Animal Health Technology field (which, in simpler terms, is like being a veterinary nurse except we do so much more than a human nurse would!). I don't think my dreams are very grand, but they are grand to me: I want to buy a little house on a few acres where I can raise chickens, maybe a cow or some sheep, grow a garden and do some home-canning every year. I'd like a little studio with a bunch of desks where I can write stories, paint pictures, and otherwise feed my inner mad scientist and just let him go nuts.

I have been living on my parent's 16 acre farm since 2004 (with a couple years here and there out of town for university) and I just can't go back to suburban living. I love it. I have outrageous ideas that I am itching to turn into reality. Lawns, for example. Lawns are a waste of time and space. Why grow grass when you can grow potatoes? If I have to have a lawn, that's where the alpacas will live. Same with living rooms. Although I don't think the alpacas will live in the living room, the living room is the biggest room in the house - so why is it almost always empty? It would make a fantastic studio - fill it up with shelves and desks and things. My mom shudders at the thought, but I drool.

Boredom is my worst enemy, because if boredom is not nipped in the bud it turns into depression. I am not happy unless I am creating something: writing a novel, knitting an obnoxiously long Doctor Who scarf, building a chicken coop - as long as I am taking things out of my brain and turning them into real things, I'm good. The thing is, most of the time this costs a bit of money. Hence, education.

I have been a fox in a box for far too long. The next year is going to be full of very long days, dorm-living, and nerve-racking exams - but with plenty of time to dream in between. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment